Have you noticed the lengthening days or bulbs appearing on your plot? I have and its a sure sign spring is nearly on the way.
If you’ve been hibernating over winter, February is the perfect month to prepare for the season ahead. Making a start now will give you a head start and make sure you are well prepared for the growing season. Tasks include:
– Cleaning and oiling your garden tools
– Spring cleaning your shed or green house
– Picking up any rubbish that has blown onto your plot
– Repairing structures that may have suffered winter damage
– Covering winter brassicas with netting to protect them from birds
– Pruning rose and berry bushes
– Planting out raspberry canes
– Covering emerging rhubarb crowns to force them for an early harvest in 6-8 weeks time.
Its also a great time to be down on your plot, so why not bring a hot flask of tea, some warm clothes and soak up the last days of winter.