Thank you to all members who have contributed to our Community Spruce initiative over the past year. Here’s what we’ve achieved together:
- Tidied the site, removing two skip loads of rubbish.
- Refurbished the toilets, including replacing the broken toilet seat in the ladies loo, painting the walls and doors and putting new lino down.
- Clive’s kitchen has been cleaned and a new fridge, kettle and microwave installed for members’ use.
- The communal polytunnel has been cleared and cleaned ready for growing plants for open day.
- The bonfire area has been cleared and new compost bins made.
- The grass has been cut throughout the year.
- The hedging has been pruned and overgrown areas cut back.
- The office has been cleared.
- We’ve planted new wildflower verges and hedging around our perimeter and planted wildflower seeds in the wildlife garden. This work is part of our re-wilding initiative, which will increase the biodiversity on our site and help support our fellow plant and animal communities which are now seriously threatened by climate change and loss of habitat.
We have been helped by teams of corporate volunteers, a great new initiative set up by Linda, which brings donations to the site and gets work done quickly. The 19th Bromley Scout Group also helped plant new hedging and seed bombed the wildlife garden.
There will be more opportunities to join in Community Spruce activities in 2020 as we continue to work to make our allotment site a peaceful, wildlife haven and an important community asset.